1451- ELECTRIC ENERGY GENERATION, UTILISATION AND CONSERVATION ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER DOWNLOAD
PART A [10x2= 20 marks]
1. Give the principle of working of geothermal power generation.
2. State the advantages of MHD power generation.
3. Give any four objectives of tariff.
4. Define the term power quality.
5. State the laws of illumination.
6. What are the properties of heating element materials?
7. What type of motor is used for electric traction? Why?
8. Give any two advantages of electric traction.
9. Define continuous rating of motor.
10. Why is induction motor commonly preferred drive for industrial application?
PART B [5x16= 80 marks]
11.[a]With a neat diagram, explain the main parts and working of a wind electric system.
[b][i]Write a note on distributed generation.
[ii]Explain the main components and working of Tidal power plant.
12.[a]Write short notes on:
[i]Need for electrical energy conservation.
[b]Explain the different methods of power factor improvement.
13.[a][i]With necessary equations, describe the design of heating element.
[ii]Write about welding transformer and its characteristics.
[b][i]Describe the various steps involved in the design of illumination system.
[ii]Describe the various aspects of residential lighting and street lighting.
14.[a][i]Discuss the recent trends in electric traction.
[ii]Describe the different types of supply systems used for railway electrification.
[b][i]Write about mechanics of train movement.
[ii]Discuss the working of D.C. series motor control in detail.
15.[a]Explain steady state and transient characteristics of drives.
[b]What do you understand by the term load equalization? Derive the expression for motor torque in case of motor fitted with the flywheel when load is increasing.