CS2251 - DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER DOWNLOAD
1. Explain the basic structure of a relational database with an example.
2. What are the functions of a DBA?
3. Give the usage of the rename operation with an example.
4. What do you mean by weak entity set?
5. What is normalization?
6. Write a note on functional dependencies.
7. What do you mean by a transaction?
8. Define the term ACID properties.
9. Describe flash memory.
10. List out the physical storage media.
11. (a) (i) Discuss the various disadvantages in the file system and explain how it can be overcome by the database system. (6 Marks)
(ii) What are the different Data models present? Explain in detail. (10 Marks)
(b) (i) Explain the Database system structure with a neat diagram. (10 Marks)
(ii) Construct an ER diagram for an employee payroll system. (6 Marks)
12. (a) (i) Explain the use trigger with your own example. (8 Marks)
(ii) Discuss the terms Distributed databases and client/ server databases. (8 Marks)
(b) (i) What is a view? How can it be created? Explain with an example. (7 Marks)
(ii) Discuss in detail the operators SELECT, PROJECT, UNION with suitable examples. (9 Marks)
13. (a) Explain 1NF, 2NF and 3NF with an example. (16 Marks)
(b) Explain the Boyce- Codd normal form with an example. Also state how it differs from that of 3NF. (16 Marks)
14. (a) (i) How can you implement atomicity in transactions? Explain. (8 Marks)
(ii) Describe the concept of serializability with suitable example. (8 Marks)
(b) How concurrency is performed? Explain the protocol that is used to maintain the concurrency concept. (16 Marks)
15. (a) What is RAID? Explain it in detail. (16 Marks)
(b) Mention the purpose of indexing. How this can be done by B+ tree? Explain. (16 Marks)