CE2202 MECHANICS OF FLUIDS 3 1 0 4
The student is introduced to the definition and properties of fluid. Principles of fluid statics,
kinematics and dynamics are dealt with subsequently. The application of similitude and model
study are covered subsequently. After undergoing this course, the student would have learnt fluid
properties and application to real situations of fluid flow.
UNIT I DEFINITIONS AND FLUID PROPERTIES 5+2
Definitions – Fluid and fluid mechanics – Dimensions and units – Fluid properties – Continuum
Concept of system and control volume
UNIT II FLUID STATICS & KINEMATICS 10+4
Pascal’s Law and Hydrostatic equation – Forces on plane and curved surfaces – Buoyancy –
Meta centre – Pressure measurement – Fluid mass under relative equilibrium
Stream, streak and path lines – Classification of flows – Continuity equation (one, two and three
dimensional forms) – Stream and potential functions – flow nets – Velocity measurement (Pilot
tube, current meter, Hot wire and hot film anemometer, float technique, Laser Doppler
UNIT III FLUID DYNAMICS 10+3
Euler and Bernoulli’s equations – Application of Bernoulli’s equation – Discharge measurement –
Laminar flows through pipes and between plates – Hagen Poiseuille equation – Turbulent flow –
Darcy-Weisbach formula – Moody diagram – Momentum Principle
UNIT IV BOUNDARY LAYER AND FLOW THROUGH PIPES 10+3
Definition of boundary layer – Thickness and classification – Displacement and momentum
thickness – Development of laminar and turbulent flows in circular pipes – Major and minor losses
of flow in pipes – Pipes in series and in parallel – Pipe network
UNIT V SIMILITUDE AND MODEL STUDY 10+3
Dimensional Analysis – Rayleigh’s method, Buckingham’s Pi-theorem – Similitude and models –
Scale effect and distorted models.
TOTAL (L:45+T:15): 60 PERIODS
1. Kumar, K.L., “Engineering Fluid Mechanics”, Eurasia Publishing House (P) Ltd., New
2. Garde, R.J. and Mirajgaoker, A.G., “Engineering Fluid Mechanics”, Nem Chand Bros.,
3. Rajput, R.K., “A text book of Fluid Mechanics” , S.Chand and Co.,New Delhi - 2007
4. Fox, Robert, W. and Macdonald, Alan,T., “Introduction to Fluid Mechanics”, John Wiley &
5. Modi, P.N. & Seth, S.M Hydraulics & fluid Mechanics, Standard book house , New Delhi -
1. Streeter, Victor, L. and Wylie, Benjamin E., “Fluid Mechanics”, McGraw-Hill Ltd., 1998.
2. E. John Finnemore and Joseph B. Franzini, “Fluid Mechanics with Engineering
Applications”, McGraw-Hill International Edition, 2001.
3. Pernard Messay, “Mechanics of Fluids” 7th Edition, Nelson Thornes Ltd. U. K. 1998.