CE2254 SURVEYING II 3 0 0 3
At the end of the course the student will posses knowledge about Tachometric surveying, Control
surveying, Survey adjustments, Astronomical surveying and Photogrametry.
1. TACHEOMETRIC SURVEYING 6
Tacheometric systems - Tangential, stadia and subtense methods - Stadia systems - Horizontal
and inclined sights - Vertical and normal staffing - Fixed and movable hairs - Stadia constants -
Anallactic lens - Subtense bar.
2. CONTROL SURVEYING 8
Working from whole to part - Horizontal and vertical control methods - Triangulation - Signals -
Base line - Instruments and accessores - Corrections - Satellite station - Reduction to centre -
Trignometric levelling - Single and reciprocal observations - Modern trends – Bench marking
3. SURVEY ADJUSTMENTS 8
Errors - Sources, precautions and corrections - Classification of errors - True and most probable
values - weighted observations - Method of equal shifts - Principle of least squares - Normal
equation - Correlates - Level nets - Adjustment of simple triangulation networks.
4. ASTRONOMICAL SURVEYING 11
Celestial sphere - Astronomical terms and definitions - Motion of sun and stars - Apparent altitude
and corrections - Celestial co-ordinate systems - Different time systems - use of Nautical almanac
- Star constellations - calculations for azimuth of a line.
5. HYDROGRAPHIC AND ADVANCE SURVEYING 12
Hydrographic Surveying - Tides - MSL - Sounding methods - Location of soundings and methods
- Three point problem - Strength of fix - Sextants and station pointer - River surveys -
Measurement of current and discharge - Photogrammetry - Introduction – Basic concepts of
Terrestial and aerial Photographs - Stereoscopy – Definition of Parallax. Electromagnetic
distance measurement – Basic principles - Instruments – Trilateration. Basic concepts of
Cartography and Cadastral surveying.
TOTAL : 45
1. Bannister A. and Raymond S., Surveying, ELBS, Sixth Edition, 1992.
2. Punmia B.C., Surveying, Vols. I, II and III, Laxmi Publications, 1989.
3. Kanetkar T.P., Surveying and Levelling, Vols. I and II, United Book Corporation, Pune,
1. Clark D., Plane and Geodetic Surveying, Vols. I and II, C.B.S. Publishers and
Distributors, Delhi, Sixth Edition, 1971.
2. James M.Anderson and Edward M.Mikhail, Introduction to Surveying, McGraw-Hill Book
3. Wolf P.R., Elements of Photogrammetry, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Second Edition,
4. Robinson A.H., Sale R.D. Morrison J.L. and Muehrche P.C., Elements of Cartography,
John Wiley and Sons, New York, Fifth Edition, 1984.
5. Heribert Kahmen and Wolfgang Faig, Surveying, Walter de Gruyter, 1995.