CY 2111 — ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY — I Anna university Previous Year question paper
CY 2111 — ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY — I
(Common to all branches except Marine Engineering)
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 marks)
2. What are the disadvantages of scale formation?
3. How is polymerization classified? Give one example for each class.
4. Write any two uses of PVC.
5. Define the terms adsorbent and adsorbate giving suitable examples.
6. What is an adsorption isotherm?
7. What is nuclear energy? Explain using a suitable example.
8. List any two advantages of lithium batteries.
9. Mention any four natural abrasives.
10. How are lubricants classified? Give one example for each class.
11. (a) (i) Describe briefly the various methods of internal conditioning of boiler feed water. (10)
(ii) 100 ml of a water sample required 20 ml of 0.01 M EDTA for the titration with Eriochrome Black-T indicator. 100ml of the same water sample after boiling and filtering required 10 ml of 0.01 M EDTA. Calculate the total, carbonate and non carbonate hardness of the sample. (6)
(ii) Describe the reverse osmosis method for desalination of sea water with a neat sketch. (6)
12. (a) (i) Write the preparation properties and uses of PET and polyurethane. (8)
(ii) Write a note on FRP. (8)
(b) (i) Distinguish between addition and condensation polymerization. (8)
(ii) Write the mechanism of free radical polymerization. (8)
13. (a) (i) What are the factors that influence the adsorption of gases on
solids? Discuss in detail. (8)
(ii) Explain the role of adsorption in catalysis using an appropriate
(b) (i) Derive the Langmuir’s adsorption isotherm and discuss the effect of
pressure on the isotherm. (12)
(ii) Illustrate how the ion exchange adsorption is useful in the
demineralization of water (only the process without diagram). (4)
14. (a) (i) What are the components of a nuclear reactor? Write briefly about
each component. (10)
(ii) Discuss the characteristics of the reaction when uranium undergoes
nuclear fission. (6)
(b) (i) Describe the principle and functioning (charging and discharging)
of lead acid battery. (10)
(ii) Write a note on wind energy. (6)
15. (a) (i) Give a brief account of neutral refractories. (6)
(ii) What are grinding wheels? How are they manufactured? (10)
(b) (i) Discuss the following properties of lubricants.
(1) Flash point. (5)
(2) Pour point. (5)
(ii) Explain the properties and applications of carbon nanotubes. (6)