5. b EE2151 CIRCUIT THEORY 3 1 0 4
(Common to EEE, EIE and ICE Branches)
UNIT I BASIC CIRCUITS ANALYSIS 12
Ohm’s Law – Kirchoffs laws – DC and AC Circuits – Resistors in series and parallel
circuits – Mesh current and node voltage method of analysis for D.C and A.C.
UNIT II NETWORK REDUCTION AND NETWORK THEOREMS FOR DC
AND AC CIRCUITS: 12
Network reduction: voltage and current division, source transformation – star delta
Thevenins and Novton & Theorem – Superposition Theorem – Maximum power
transfer theorem – Reciprocity Theorem.
UNIT III RESONANCE AND COUPLED CIRCUITS 12
Series and paralled resonance – their frequency response – Quality factor and
Bandwidth - Self and mutual inductance – Coefficient of coupling – Tuned circuits –
Single tuned circuits.
UNIT IV TRANSIENT RESPONSE FOR DC CIRCUITS 12
Transient response of RL, RC and RLC Circuits using Laplace transform for DC input
and A.C. with sinusoidal input.
UNIT V ANALYSING THREE PHASE CIRCUITS 12
Three phase balanced / unbalanced voltage sources – analysis of three phase 3-wire
and 4-wire circuits with star and delta connected loads, balanced & un balanced –
phasor diagram of voltages and currents – power and power factor measurements in
three phase circuits.
TOTAL :60 PERIODS
1. William H. Hayt Jr, Jack E. Kemmerly and Steven M. Durbin, “Engineering
Circuits Analysis”,Tata McGraw Hill publishers, 6
edition, New Delhi, (2002).
2. Sudhakar A and Shyam Mohan SP, “Circuits and Network Analysis and
Synthesis”,Tata McGraw Hill, (2007).
1. Paranjothi SR, “Electric Circuits Analysis,” New Age International Ltd., New
2. Joseph A. Edminister, Mahmood Nahri, “Electric circuits”, Schaum’s series,
Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi (2001).
3. Chakrabati A, “Circuits Theory (Analysis and synthesis), Dhanpath Rai &
Sons, New Delhi, (1999).
4. Charles K. Alexander, Mathew N.O. Sadik, “Fundamentals of Electric
Circuits”, Second Edition, McGraw Hill, (2003).