ME 2254 – STRENGTH OF MATERIALS QUESTION BANK
1. State Hooke’s Law.
2. Define stress and strain
3. Define Rigid Body and deformable body.
4. Differentiate simple and compound stress.
5. What is stiffness?
6. What are the different types of stresses?
7. What are the different types of strains?
8. Define volumetric strain?
9. What is factor of safety?
10. What is Ultimate strength?
11. What is working stress?
12. What is Yield Strength?
13. Define Stiffness of a helical spring.
14. What are the different types of supports?
15. Define Shear force.
16. Define bending moment
17. Write down the equation for bending of a shaft.
18. Write down the equation for torsion.
19. What is Torsional force?
20. What is torsional rigidity?
21. Define Centripetal force.
22. Define Centrifugal force.
23. Explain Radius of gyration.
24. What is meant by Wahl factor.
25. What are the stresses produced in a helical coil spring under torsion.
26. What is meant by neutral axis.
27. What is the significance of finding beam deflection?
28. What is the significance of finding slope?
29. Define equivalent length of a column.
30. State Eulers equation for columns.
31. Define Slenderness ratio.
32. State Rankines formula for columns.
33. Differentiate uniaxial and biaxial state of stress.
34. Define principal stress.
35. Tell About Moment of inertia.
36. What is Inertia?
37. Polar moment of inertia.
38. Explain about Principal plane.
39. Explain about Principal axis.
40. Draw Shear force diagram for a cantilever beam with udl and point load.
41. Draw Shear force diagram for a SSB with udl and point load
42. What are SSB, Fixed Beams, Hinged Beams.
43. Explain the equilibrium condition for a body.
44. Differentiate between Bar and column
45. Types of beams.
46. What is Shear centre?
47. Tell something on elastic constants.
48. What is Poisson’s ratio?
49. Differentiate Longitudinal and Lateral Strain.
50. Relation between Bulk Modulus and Young’s modulus.
51. Explain about modulus of rigidity.
52. What is Strain energy?
53. What is Resilience?
54. Define proof of resilience.
55. Define modulus of resilience.
56. How is potential energy related to strain energy
57. Explain Castigliano’s Theorem.
58. What is slenderness ratio?
59. When do we call the failure to be fatigue?
60. Explain sudden impact.
61. Explain about buckling in a beam.
62. Why is it necessary to check hardness?
63. Enumerate the advantages of Rockwell Hardness test over Brinell hardness test.
64. Differentiate between pneumatic and hydraulic pumps.
65. Unit of force, deflection, stress, strain, E, K, G.
66. Purpose of UTM.
67. Define a Hydraulic jack.
68. What is torsional bending?
69. What is axial load?
70. Say something on ageing factor.
71. Define Section modulus.
72. What is a composite beam?
1. Explain the main aspects of stress strain diagram for mild steel.
2. Derive the relationship between the different elastic constants.
3. Explain strain energy theory.
4. Explain how deformation due to thermal stresses is calculated.
5. Write down the procedure to draw SFD and BMD for a simply supported beam.
6. Write down the procedure to draw SFD and BMD for a simply supported beam.
7. Derive the equation for simple bending.
8. Elucidate the Effect of shape of beam section on stress induced.
9. Derive the procedure to calculate shear stresses in beams.
10. Define Rigid body, Deformable body, Stiffness, Strength, Stability.
11. Derive torsion equation for a solid shaft.
12. Derive torsion equation for a hollow shaft.
13. Prove how a hollow shaft is superior than a solid shaft in torque transmission.
14. Write down the design procedure for helical coil springs.
15. Derive the equation for deflection of a helical coil spring under axial load.
16. Derive the equation for beam deflection and slope through Double integration method.
17. Derive the equation for beam deflection and slope through Macaulays method.
18. Derive the equation for beam deflection and slope through Moment Area method.
19. State the different end conditions for a column and state the equivalent length for each type.
20. Derive Eulers equation for a column.
21. State the procedure for drawing Mohrs circle.
22. Explain the state of biaxial stresses at a point.
ME2254 Strength of Materials Anna University Question bank, question paper pervious year question paper for Unit 1 unit 2 unit3 unit 4 unit 5,important 2 marks and 16 marks questions Reviewed by Rejin Paul on 4:19 AM Rating: