EC2402 OPTICAL COMMUNICATION AND NETWORKING ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION BANK , QUESTION PAPER FOR UNIT1,UNIT2,UNIT3,UNIT4,UNIT5 IMPORTANT 2 MARKS AND 16 MARKS QUESTIONS
25 micro meter. Calculate the numerical aperture at the axis and at a point 20
micro meter from the axis
wavelength = 1300 nm)
- Define mode field diameter
- What is the fundamental parameter of a single mode fiber?
- A step index fiber has a normalized frequency V = 26.6 at 1300 nm wavelength.
If the core radius is 25 pm, find the numerical aperture
(ii) Discuss pulse broadening in graded index fibers with necessary equations
(ii) Discuss the structure of graded index fiber
(ii) Discuss the pulse broadening in graded index fiberss
(b) Compare Single mode fibers and Graded index fibers. Explain the requirements
for fiber materials.
- Write the expression for the effective number of modes guided by a curved
(ii) Compare the configuration of different types of fibers .
- (b)(i) Derive modal equation
(ii) Derive an expression for material dispersion
(b) Discuss the pulse broadening in graded index fibers
(ii) Draw the elements of an optical fiber transmission link and explain
propagating through fiber, Which is most important one? What is the effect of
these losses on light power and pulse shape?
explain the operation
(b) (i)Discuss the LASER diode principle , modes and threshold conditions
(b) Discuss the laser diode structures and radiation patterns
(ii) Derive the internal quantum efficiency of an LED
- (b) (i) Explain optical feedback and laser oscillation.
surface emitting LED.
(b) Discuss about modulation of Laser diodes. Why thermoelectric cooler are used
in Laser diodes?
300 K. What is meant by long wavelength cutoff?
(b) Explain the fundamental receiver operation in optical communication
1300 nm : I D = 4 nA, ? = 0.9, RL = 1000 ohms and the surface leakage current is
negligible. The incident optical power is 300 nw (- 35 dBm), and the receiver
bandwidth is 20 MHz . Find the various noise terms of the receiver
(b) Discuss the performance of digital receiver by defining the probability of
discuss the requirements of photo detector.
(b) Discuss the fundamentals of receiver operations with neat block diagram
850 nm requires a maximum BER of 10*9. Find the minimum incidental optical power
Po to achieve this BER at a data rate of 10 Mb/s for a simple binary level
signaling scheme. (ry: 1), [1/r : B/2].
(b) Discuss in detail digital receiver performance calculation and sensitivity
calculation in detail.
- List the sysyem requirements neede in analyzing a point -to- point link
- Write the concept of solution
- What is meant by solitron?
- What is meant by modal noise?
- Write the basic concept of solition generation
- Write the concept of link power budget
- Define Modal Noise.
(b) (i) Explain the operational principles of WDM
- (ii) Explain the rise-time budget.
- (a) (i) Discuss the operational principles of WDM
(b) Explain the rise-time budget of a fiber –optic point – to – point link
(b) Discuss the principle ,requirement and applications of WDM
(b) Discuss in detail Fiber splicing and connectors. Explain the operation
principles of WDM.