Important Questions in Kinematics of Machinery 113302 - subject for NOV/DEC 2011 AUT ANNA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY EXAMINATIONS FOR SECOND YEAR THIRD SEMESTER mech Students
Important 16 Marks Questions
1. Describe Whitworth's quick return mechanism.
2. Discuss the application of Grashoff’s law in identifying the input and output motions of four-bar mechanism.
3. Define and explain inversion of mechanisms.
4. Sketch and explain oldham’s coupling
5. Discuss the functions of clutches in automobiles.
6. Derive the expression to determine the ratio of tensions in a flat belt drive.
7. Explain the inversions of four bar chain, with neat sketches.
8. Explain with neat sketches the following: (1) Offset slider mechanism, (2) An indexing mechanism.
9. Explain the inversions of single slider crank chains, with neat sketches.
10 Explain mechanical advantage and transmission angle related to four-bar mechanisms.
11 Define transmission angle of a four bar linkage. What is the effect of transmission angle on mechanical advantage?
12. Briefly explain various types of constrained motions.
13. Illustrate a crank and slotted lever mechanism as an inversion of single slider crank chain. Deduce an expression for length of stroke in terms of link lengths.
14. Analytically perform the displacement analysis of a four bar mechanism.
15. . Construct a tangent cam and mention the important terminologies on it. Also derive the expressions for displacement, velocity, acceleration of a reciprocating roller follower when the roller has contact with the nose.
16. Derive the expression for Frictional torque on cone clutch based on uniform pressure theory.
17. Define transmission angle of a four bar linkage. What is the effect of transmission angle on mechanical advantage?
18. State and prove Kutchbach criterion for the following kinematic chains: Three bar chain, Four bar chain, Cam with knife edge follower.
19. Explain any two inversions of a four bar kinematic chain.
20 Derive the displacement, velocity and acceleration equation of a slider crank mechanism.
21 Construct a tangent cam and mention the important terminologies on it. Also derive the expression for displacement, velocity, acceleration of a reciprocating roller follower when the roller has contact with the nose.
22. Derive an expression for the minimum number of teeth required on the pinion in order to avoid interference in involute gear teeth.
23. What are the special advantages of an epicyclic gear train?
24. From the first principles, derive an expression for the frictional torque of a cone clutch under uniform wear consideration.
25. What is the importance of finding acceleration of various points in a mechanism? Name the two different methods of finding acceleration in a mechanism.
26 What do you mean by pitch point, circular pitch, module, addendum and pressure angle? Explain in detail.
27 State and prove the law of gear tooth action for constant velocity ratio and show how the involute teeth profile satisfies the condition. Derive an expression for the velocity of sliding between a pair of involute teeth. State the advantages of involute profile as a gear tooth profile.