Important Questions in RF and Microwave engineering EC2403 EC 2403 subject for NOV/DEC 2011 ANNA UNIVERSITY EXAMINATIONS FOR IV FINAL YEAR ECE Students
EC2403 RF and Microwave engineering
1. State and prove the properties of scattering matrix
2. Discuss the high frequency response of resistance, capacitance and Inductance
3. Using Ridley - Watkins - Hilsum theory, explain two valley model of GaAs
4. Obtain the relationship of S parameters in terms of ABCD parameters
5. Discuss the following properties of ‘S’ matrix (a) Symmetry property (b) Unitary property` (c) Phase shift property
1. Discuss the consideration for an RF amplifier design
2. Describe the frequency response of impedance matching networks used in an RF amplifier
3. Derive the Manley Rowe power relation. Show how it can be applied to find the gain of up converter and down converter
1. Describe the working of a magic tee. How impedance matching is done to realise the ideal properties of magic tee? Give important applications of it.
2. Derive the s matrix of an ideal Phase shifter and discuss its operation
3. Describe the operation of a Isolator
4. The specifications of a three-port circulator are given as insertion loss as 1 dB,
isolation to be 25 dB, and VSWR equal to 1.4. Characterize the isolator by its S-parameters
1. Explain in detail with suitable diagrams the fabrication techniques of a monolithic microwave integrated circuit.
2. Derive the Manley Rowe power relation. Show how it can be applied to find the gain of up converter and down converter.
3. Define different MMIC fabrication technique
4. Explain the construction and DC operating principle of IMPATT diode
1. Explain the working of Reflex Klystron , while doing so, explain the concept of
velocity and current modulations
2. Explain the following (a) Impedance measurement by reflectometer. (b) Measurement of ‘Q’ by Reflectometer method.
3. A reflex klystron is operated at 8 GHz with dc beam voltage of 600v for 1.75 mode, repeller space length of 1mm,and dc beam current of 9mA. The beam coupling coefficient is assumed to be 1. Calculate the repeller voltage, electronic efficiency and output power