CE2352 DESIGN OF STEEL STRUCTURES
This course covers the design of structural steel members subjected to compressive, tensile
and bending loads, as per current codal provisions (IS 800 - 2007) including connections.
Design of structural systems such as roof trusses, gantry girders are included.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION
Properties of steel – Structural steel sections – Limit State Design Concepts – Loads on
Structures – Metal joining methods using rivets, welding, bolting – Design of bolted, riveted and
welded joints – Eccentric connections - Efficiency of joints – High Tension bolts
UNIT II TENSION MEMBERS
Types of sections – Net area – Net effective sections for angles and Tee in tension – Design of
connections in tension members – Use of lug angles – Design of tension splice – Concept of
UNIT III COMPRESSION MEMBERS
Types of compression members – Theory of columns – Basis of current codal provision for
compression member design – Slenderness ratio – Design of single section and compound
section compression members – Design of lacing and battening type columns – Design of
column bases – Gusseted base
UNIT IV BEAMS
Design of laterally supported and unsupported beams – Built up beams – Beams subjected to
biaxial bending – Design of plate girders riveted and welded – Intermediate and bearing
stiffeners – Web splices – Design of beam columns
UNIT V ROOF TRUSSES AND INDUSTRIAL STRUCTURES
Roof trusses – Roof and side coverings – Design loads, design of purlin and elements of truss;
end bearing – Design of gantry girder
1. Dayaratnam, P., “Design of Steel Structures”, Second edition, S. Chand & Company, 2003.
2. Ramachandra, S. and Virendra Gehlot, “Design of Steel Structures – Vol. I & II”, Standard
Publication, New Delhi, 2007
1. “Teaching Resources for Structural Steel Design – Vol. I & II”, INSDAG, Kolkatta.
2. Gaylord, E.H., Gaylord, N.C., and Stallmeyer, J.E., “Design of Steel Structures”, 3
edition, McGraw-Hill Publications, 1992
3. Negi L.S.. Design of Steel Structures, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Pvt Ltd, New Delhi,
4. IS 800-2007 Indian Standard General Construction in Steel – code of practice (3