APPLICABLE TO CHENNAI,MADURAI,COIMBATORE,TRICHY,TRINELVELI AND ALL DISTRICT COLLEGES FIRST YEAR SECOND SEMESTER STUDENTS
EC2151 ELECTRIC CIRCUITS AND ELECTRON DEVICES
(For ECE, CSE, IT and Biomedical Engg. Branches)
UNIT I CIRCUIT ANALYSIS TECHNIQUES
Kirchoff’s current and voltage laws – series and parallel connection of independent sources – R, L and C – Network Theorems – Thevenin, Superposition, Norton, Maximum power transfer and duality – Star-delta conversion.
UNIT II TRANSIENT RESONANCE IN RLC CIRCUITS
Basic RL, RC and RLC circuits and their responses to pulse and sinusoidal inputs – frequency response – Parallel and series resonances – Q factor – single tuned and double tuned circuits.
UNIT III SEMICONDUCTOR DIODES
Review of intrinsic & extrinsic semiconductors – Theory of PN junction diode – Energy band structure – current equation – space charge and diffusion capacitances – effect of temperature and breakdown mechanism – Zener diode and its characteristics.
UNIT IV TRANSISTORS
Principle of operation of PNP and NPN transistors – study of CE, CB and CC configurations and comparison of their characteristics – Breakdown in transistors – operation and comparison of N-Channel and P-Channel JFET – drain current equation –MOSFET – Enhancement and depletion types – structure and operation – comparison of BJT with MOSFET – thermal effect on MOSFET.
UNIT V SPECIAL SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES
(Qualitative Treatment only)
Tunnel diodes – PIN diode, varactor diode – SCR characteristics and two transistor equivalent model – UJT – Diac and Triac – Laser, CCD, Photodiode, Phototransistor, Photoconductive and Photovoltaic cells – LED, LCD.
1. Joseph A. Edminister, Mahmood, Nahri, “Electric Circuits” – Shaum series,Tata McGraw Hill, (2001)
2. S. Salivahanan, N. Suresh kumar and A. Vallavanraj, “Electronic Devices and Circuits”,Tata McGraw Hill, 2nd Edition, (2008).
3. David A. Bell, “Electronic Devices and Circuits”, Oxford University Press, 5Th Edition, (2008).
1. Robert T. Paynter, “Introducing Electronics Devices and Circuits”, Pearson Education, 7 th Education, (2006).
2. William H. Hayt, J.V. Jack, E. Kemmebly and steven M. Durbin, “Engineering Circuit Analysis”,Tata McGraw Hill, 6 Th Edition, 2002.
3. J. Millman & Halkins, Satyebranta Jit, “Electronic Devices & Circuits”,Tata McGraw Hill, 2Nd Edition, 2008.