ENGINEERING MATERIALS AND METALLURGY ME2253 ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER
2. Distinguish between steel and cast iron. Also classify steel with respect to
3. Enumerate any two differences between annealing and normalizing.
4. Explain the term ‘induction hardening’.
5. List the parameters that can be determined from the tensile test.
6. Mention some of the disadvantages of Brinell hardness test.
7. What will be the effects, if the following elements alloyed with steel?
8. Write down the composition and any one application of the following alloys.
9. Name any two polymers and state their applications.
10. Mention any four attractive properties of engineering ceramics.
Also enumerate the properties of the following phase.
(3) Cementite. (12)
(ii) Define the following terms (2 + 2)
(1) Solid solution
(b) (i) Explain Hume-Rothery rules of solid solubility. (6)
(ii) Discuss the composition, properties and application of the following
(1) Malleable cast Iron
(2) Spheroidal cast Iron. (5 + 5)
12. (a) (i) Draw Time-Temperature-Transformation (T-T-T) diagram and label
all the phases. Also enumerate any four objectives of heat
treatment of steel. (8)
(ii) What is case hardening? Explain the following processes.
(2) Nitriding. (8)
(b) (i) What is hardenability? Describe a test that is used for
determination of hardenability of steel. (8)
(ii) Explain the different types of tempering process. (4)
(iii) State any four reasons for the formation quenching cracks. (4)
13. (a) (i) With neat sketches explain the mechanism of slip and twining. Also
state the differences between them. (10)
(ii) Draw creep curve and explain the different stages of creep damage.
(b) (i) Draw S-N curve for ferrous and non-ferrous metals and explain how
endurance strength can be determined. Also discuss the factors that
affect the fatigue life. (10)
(ii) Define the term ‘hardness of metal’. With a neat sketch, explain the
hardness measurement by Rockwell method. (6)
14. (a) (i) Write down the composition and applications of the following metal
(1) Stainless steel
(2) Tool steel. (5 + 5)
(ii) What is precipitation hardening? Illustrate this with an example. (6)
(b) (i) Enumerate the composition and applications of following alloys.
(1) Cupro nickel
(3) Bearing alloy. (9)
(ii) State the effects of the following alloying elements in steel
(2) Molybdenum. (4)
(iii) State any three objectives of adding alloying elements on steel. (3)
15. (a) (i) Explain the following terms with respect to polymers
(1) Mechanical behaviour
(2) Thermal behaviour
(3) Electrical behaviour. (12)
(ii) What are the special properties of plastics that make them suitable
for engineering applications? (4)
(b) (i) Enumerate the properties of the following
(2) Thermosetting plastic
(3) Elastomers. (12)
(ii) Describe the concept of ‘Co-polymerization’. (4)