APPLICABLE TO CHENNAI,MADURAI,COIMBATORE,TRICHY,TRINELVELI AND ALL DISTRICT COLLEGES FIRST YEAR SECOND SEMESTER STUDENTS
ME2151 ENGINEERING MECHANICS SYLLABUS - FOR NON CIRCUIT BRANCHES
UNIT I BASICS & STATICS OF PARTICLES
Introduction – Units and Dimensions – Laws of Mechanics – Lame’s theorem, Parallelogram and triangular Law of forces – Vectors – Vectorial representation of forces and moments – Vector operations: additions, subtraction, dot product, cross product – Coplanar Forces – Resolution and Composition of forces – Equilibrium of a particle – Forces in space – Equilibrium of a particle in space – Equivalent systems of forces – Principle of transmissibility – Single equivalent force.
UNIT II EQUILIBRIUM OF RIGID BODIES
Free body diagram – Types of supports and their reactions – requirements of stable equilibrium – Moments and Couples – Moment of a force about a point and about an axis – Vectorial representation of moments and couples – Scalar components of a moment – Varignon’s theorem – Equilibrium of Rigid bodies in two dimensions – Equilibrium of Rigid bodies in three dimensions – Examples
UNIT III PROPERTIES OF SURFACES AND SOLIDS
Determination of Areas and Volumes – First moment of area and the Centroid of sections – Rectangle, circle, triangle from integration – T section, I section, - Angle section, Hollow section by using standard formula – second and product moments of plane area – Rectangle, triangle, circle from integration – T section, I section, Angle section, Hollow section by using standard formula – Parallel axis theorem and perpendicular axis theorem – Polar moment of inertia – Principal moments of inertia of plane areas – Principal axes of inertia – Mass moment of inertia – Derivation of mass moment of inertia for rectangular section, prism, sphere from first principle – Relation to area moments of inertia.
UNIT IV DYNAMICS OF PARTICLES
Displacements, Velocity and acceleration, their relationship – Relative motion – Curvilinear motion – Newton’s law – Work Energy Equation of particles – Impulse and Momentum – Impact of elastic bodies.
UNIT V FRICTION AND ELEMENTS OF RIGID BODY DYNAMICS
Frictional force – Laws of Coloumb friction – simple contact friction – Rolling resistance – Belt friction. Translation and Rotation of Rigid Bodies – Velocity and acceleration – General Plane motion.
1. Beer, F.P and Johnson Jr. E.R. “Vector Mechanics for Engineers”, Vol. 1 Statics and Vol. 2 Dynamics, McGraw-Hill International Edition, (1997).
1. Rajasekaran, S, Sankarasubramanian, G., “Fundamentals of Engineering Mechanics”, Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., (2000).
2. Hibbeller, R.C., “Engineering Mechanics”, Vol. 1 Statics, Vol. 2 Dynamics, Pearson Education Asia Pvt. Ltd., (2000).
3. Palanichamy, M.S., Nagam, S., “Engineering Mechanics – Statics & Dynamics”, Tata McGraw-Hill, (2001).
4. Irving H. Shames, “Engineering Mechanics – Statics and Dynamics”, IV Edition – Pearson Education Asia Pvt. Ltd., (2003).
5. Ashok Gupta, “Interactive Engineering Mechanics – Statics – A Virtual Tutor (CDROM)”, Pearson Education Asia Pvt., Ltd., (2002).