IMPORTANT QUESTIONS IN ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY- I CY2111 SUBJECT FOR JAN JANUARY 2012 EXAMINATION AU ANNA UNIVERSITY,CHENNAI FOR FIRST YEAR FIRST SEMESTER STUDENTS COMMAN TO ALL TAMILNADU ENGINEERING COLLEGES AFFILIATED TO AU,CHENNAI
APPLICABLE TO CHENNAI,MADURAI,COIMBATORE,TRICHY,TRINELVELI AND ALL DISTRICT COLLEGES FIRST YEAR FIRST SEMESTER STUDENTS
CY2111 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY- I
1. Describe the principle and method involved in the determination of different types and amount of alkalinity of water
2. Explain the following boiler troubles suggesting the remedial methods (a) Sludge and Scale formation (b) Caustic Embrittlement (c) Priming and Foaming
3. 100 ml of a water sample requires 20 ml of 0.01M EDTA for the titration with EBTindicator. 100 ml of the same water sample after boiling and filtering required 10 ml of 0.01M EDTA. Calculate the total, carbonate and non carbonate hardness of the sample.
4. Explain how demineralization of water is done in water technology?
1. What are synthetic rubbers? Discuss the synthesis and uses of SBR & Butyl rubber
2. How the following polymers are prepared (i) PVC (ii) Polyurethane (iii) Polycarbonate
3. Explain the mechanism of addition polymerization.
4. Write a brief account of FRP
1. Explain the various types of adsorption isotherms
2. What are the factors that influence the adsorption of gases on solids? Discuss in detail
3. Discuss the role of adsorbents in pollution abatement
4. Explain the role of adsorbentsin catalysis
1. Explain the construction and working of H2-O2 fuel cell giving a neat diagram 2. Briefly explain the components of a nuclear reactor?3. Explain in detail about solar cells
4. Discuss the light water nuclear reactor for power generation with a neat diagram
1. What are abrasives? Explain the classification of abrasives with suitable examples
2. Explain the electrical and mechanical properties and applications of carbon nanotubes
3. What are the characteristics of a good refractory? Write a note on Carborundum and Norbide.
4. Define and signify (1) Flash and Fire point (2) Cloud and Pour Point