MG2351 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
UNIT I OVERVIEW OF MANAGEMENT
Organization - Management - Role of managers - Evolution of Management thought -
Organization and the environmental factors - Managing globally - Strategies for International
UNIT II PLANNING
Nature and purpose of planning - Planning process - Types of plans – Objectives - Managing
by objective (MBO) Strategies - Types of strategies - Policies - Decision Making - Types of decision - Decision Making Process - Rational Decision Making Process - Decision Making
under different conditions.
UNIT III ORGANIZING
Nature and purpose of organizing - Organization structure - Formal and informal groups I
organization - Line and Staff authority - Departmentation - Span of control - Centralization and Decentralization - Delegation of authority - Staffing - Selection and Recruitment - Orientation -
Career Development - Career stages – Training - Performance Appraisal.
UNIT IV DIRECTING
Creativity and Innovation - Motivation and Satisfaction - Motivation Theories Leadership
Leadership theories - Communication - Hurdles to effective communication - Organization Culture - Elements and types of culture - Managing cultural diversity.
UNIT V CONTROLLING
Process of controlling - Types of control - Budgetary and non-budgetary control techniques -Managing Productivity - Cost Control - Purchase Control - Maintenance Control - Quality Control - Planning operations.
1. Stephen P. Robbins and Mary Coulter, 'Management', Prentice Hall of India,
2. Charles W L Hill, Steven L McShane, 'Principles of Management', Mcgraw Hill
Education, Special Indian Edition, 2007.
1. Hellriegel, Slocum & Jackson, ' Management - A Competency Based Approach', Thomson
South Western, 10th edition, 2007.
2. Harold Koontz, Heinz Weihrich and Mark V Cannice, ‘Management – A global &
Entrepreneurial Perspective’, Tata Mcgraw Hill, 12th edition, 2007.
3. Andrew J. Dubrin, 'Essentials of Management', Thomson Southwestern, 7th edition, 2007.