BA9221 OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT SYLLABUS | OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT BA9221 ANNA UNIVERSITY 2ND SEMESTER MBA SYLLABUS
BA 9221 OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO PRODUCTION AND OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
Production Systems – Nature, Importance and organizational function. Characteristics of Modern Production and Operations function. Organisation of Production function. Recent Trends in Production and Operations Management. Role of Operations in Strategic Management. Production and Operations strategy – Elements and Competitive Priorities. Nature of International Operations Management.
UNIT II FORECASTING, CAPACITY AND AGGREGATE PLANNING
Demand Forecasting – Need, Types, Objectives and Steps. Overview of Qualitative and
Quantitative methods. Capacity Planning – Long range, Types, Rough cut plan, Capacity
Requirements Planning (CRP), Developing capacity alternatives. Aggregate Planning –
Approaches, costs, relationship to Master Production schedule. Overview of MRP, MRP II and ERP
UNIT III DESIGN OF PRODUCT, SERVICE AND WORK SYSTEMS
Product Design – Influencing factors, Approaches, Legal, Ethical and Environmental issues. Process – Planning, Selection, Strategy, Major Decisions. Service Operations – Types, Strategies, Scheduling (Multiple resources and cyclical scheduling). Work Study – Objectives, Procedure. Method Study and Motion Study. Work Measurement and Productivity – Measuring Productivity and Methods to improve productivity.
UNIT IV MATERIALS MANAGEMENT
Materials Management – Objectives, Planning, Budgeting and Control. Overview of Materials Management Information Systems (MMIS). Purchasing – Objectives, Functions, Policies, Vendor rating and Value Analysis. Stores Management – Nature, Layout, Classification and Coding. Inventory – Objectives, Costs and control techniques. Overview of JIT.
UNIT V PROJECT AND FACILITY PLANNING
Project Management – Scheduling Techniques, PERT, CPM, Crashing CPM networks – Simple Problems. Facility Location – Theories, Steps in Selection, Location Models – Simple Problems. Facility Layout – Principles, Types, Planning tools and techniques.
1. Aswathappa K and Shridhara Bhat K, Production and Operations Management,
Himalaya Publishing House, Revised Second Edition, 2008.
2. Pannerselvam R, Production and Operations Management, Prentice Hall India, Second Edition, 2008.
3. Norman Gaither and Gregory Frazier, Operations Management, South Western Cengage Learning, 2002.
1. Kanishka Bedi, Production and Operations Management, Oxford University Press,
2. Russel and Taylor, Operations Management, Wiley, Fifth Edition, 2006.
3. Chary S. N, Production and Operations Management, Tata McGraw Hill, Third Edition, 2008.
4. Chase Jacobs, Aquilano & Agarwal., Operations Management, Tata McGraw Hill, 2006.
5. Mahadevan B, Operations Management Theory and practice, Pearson Education, 2007.