BA9226 APPLIED OPERATIONS RESEARCH FOR MANAGEMENT
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO LINEAR PROGRAMMING (LP)
Introduction to applications of operations research in functional areas of management. Linear Programming-formulation, solution by graphical and simplex methods (Primal - Penalty, Two Phase), Special cases. Dual simplex method. Principles of Duality. Sensitivity Analysis.
UNIT II LINEAR PROGRAMMING EXTENSIONS
Transportation Models (Minimising and Maximising Cases) – Balanced and unbalanced cases – Initial Basic feasible solution by N-W Corner Rule, Least cost and Vogel’s approximation methods. Check for optimality. Solution by MODI / Stepping Stone method. Cases of degeneracy. Transhipment Models. Assignment Models (Minimising and Maximising Cases) – Balanced and Unbalanced Cases. Solution by Hungarian and Branch and Bound Algorithms. Travelling Salesman problem. Crew Assignment Models.
UNIT III INTEGER LINEAR PROGRAMMING AND GAME THEORY
Solution to pure and mixed integer programming problem by Branch and Bound and cutting plane algorithms. Game Theory-Two person Zero sum games-Saddle point, Dominance Rule, Convex Linear Combination (Averages), methods of matrices, graphical and LP solutions.
UNIT IV INVENTORY MODELS, SIMULATION AND DECISION THEORY
Inventory Models – EOQ and EBQ Models (With and without shortages), Quantity Discount Models. Decision making under risk – Decision trees – Decision making under uncertainty. Application of simulation techniques for decision making.
UNIT V QUEUING THEORY AND REPLACEMENT MODELS
Queuing Theory - single and Multi-channel models – infinite number of customers and infinite calling source. Replacement Models-Individuals replacement Models (With and without time value of money) – Group Replacement Models.
1. Paneerselvam R., Operations Research, Prentice Hall of India, Fourth Print, 2008.
2. Natarajan AM, Balasubramani P and Tamilarasi A, Operations Research, Pearson
Education, First Indian Reprint, 2005.
3. Hamdy A Taha, Introduction to Operations Research, Prentice Hall India, Seventh
Edition, Third Indian Reprint 2004.
1. Sankara Iyer P, Operations Research, Tata Mcgraw Hill, 2008.
2. Frederick & Mark Hillier, Introduction to Management Science – A Modeling and case
studies approach with spreadsheets, Tata Mcgraw Hill, 2005.
3. Gupta P.K, Hira D.S, Problem in Operations Research, S.Chand and Co, 2007.
4. Kalavathy S, Operations Research, Second Edition, Vikas Publishing House, 2004.
5. Richard Broson , Govindasamy & Naachimuthu , Operations Research, Schaum’s
outline series, II Edition, 2000.