B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2011.
GE 2022 – TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT
(Common to Seventh Semester Aeronautical Engineering, Production
Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology Computer Science and
Engineering Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Sixth Semester – Civil
(Common to PTGE 2022 - Total Quality Management for B.E (Part-Time)
Mechanical Engineering – Fifth Semester – Regulation 2009)
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 marks)
1. How can quality be quantified?2. What are the benefits of TQM?
3. What are the important habits of quality leader?
4. Name a few barriers to Team’s progress.
5. What are the benefits of Benchmarking?
6. Name some new management tools.
7. How can QFD be deployed?
8. What is the formula for measuring equipment effectiveness?
9. What are the general requirements of quality management system?
10. Draw the documentation pyramid.
PART B — (5 × l6 = 80 marks)
11. (a) (i) Describe the six basic concepts of TQM. (8)
(ii) Explain the various dimensions of quality. (8)
Or(b) (i) Discuss the Deming’s philosophy for TQM. (8)
(ii) Explain the barriers to TQM implementation and solution. (8)
12. (a) (i) Write about the system of recognition and reward followed in an organization. (12)
(ii) What are the suggestions to improve the appraisal system? (4)
Or(b) Explain the different approaches towards Continuous Process Improvement.
13. (a) (i) Explain the relevance of 6-sigma concept in achieving quality output in a process. (12)
(ii) Give an example of a company practicing six-sigma concept. (4)
Or(b) (i) What is Benchmarking and why do the organizations adopt this technique? (2+4)
(ii) Explain the Benchmarking process. (10)
14. (a) Explain the seven step plan to establish the TPM in an organization in detail.
Or(b) Explain the concept of Taguchi's quality loss function in detail. Give an example.
15. (a) (i) Explain the benefits of EMS. (8)
(ii) Discuss quality auditing in detail. (8)
Or(b) Discuss the implementation of TQM with a case study from the manufacturing industry.