ME2253 ENGINEERING MATERIALS AND METALLURGY ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION BANK
Subject: Engineering Materials and Metallurgy
Subject Code: ME2253
Two mark questions
- Write the peritectic reaction in Fe-F3C diagram.
- Classify steel.
- What is the purpose of spheroidizing?
- How to avoid white layer in Nitriding treatment?
- List the effect of chromium in alloy steel.
- Name a few characteristics of bearing alloy.
- Write the applications of PVC
- Define the term FRC.
- What is micro hardness?
- What do you understand by work hardening?
- What are the effects of crystal structure and atomic radii on formation of solid solution between two metallic elements?
- Define Peritectic and Eutectoid reactions.
- A low carbon steel is stronger in the normalized condition than in the annealed condition. Why?
- Case carburizing heat treatment is not generally carried out for medium carbon steel. Why?
- Compare the martensite that is formed in maraging steel with the martensite that is formed in carbon steel.
- What is the main strengthening mechanism in high strength aluminium alloys?
- Name four ethenic polymers (polymers that have the basic monomer structure of ethylene)
- What are the important uses of alumina and silicon nitride?
- Define endurance limit in fatigue test.
- What properties are determined from tension testing of metallic products?
16 mark questions
- Compare different methods of hardness testing from all possible aspects such as accuracy, range, quickness, easiness and necessity.
- Describe, iron-carbon phase diagram. State how to use the diagram to understand solidification of 0.4% C steel and 4.3% C steel.
- Differentiate between grey-cast iron and spheroidal graphite cast iron.
- What do you understand by heat treatment? Mention the various stages of heat treatment procedure.
- Outline the principle of high frequency induction hardening. How induction hardening is carried out. Mention its advantages, disadvantages and applications.
- Discuss the effects of various alloying elements on the properties of metals. What is red hardness and how it is useful for cutting tools?
- What is bearing metal? Give its classification, composition, properties and uses.
- Describe the major properties of thermosetting plastics. What are the applications of phenolic and melamine?
- Explain the different types of important technological properties of metal.
- Describe the molecular structures, properties and applications of the following polymers:
i. Polyvinyl chloride(PVC)
iii. Polyethylene terephthalate(PET)
- i. Draw an iron-carbon diagram neatly.(ii). Using the iron-carbon diagram, predict the microstructure at room temperature of a carbon steel that contains 0.4% carbon when cooled in furnace.
12. i. Elements A and B melt at 700° C and 1000°C respectively. Draw a typical isomorphous phase diagram between the elements A and B.
ii. Elements A and B melt at 700° C and 1000°C 700 respectively. They form an eutectic at 35% A at temperature 500°C. Draw a typical phase diagram between A and B.
13. Draw a schematic CCT diagram for a carbon steel containing 0.8% carbon. Using this diagram, explain how different cooling curves lead to (i) annealing heat treatment, (ii) normalizing heat treatment, and (iii) hardening heat treatment.
14. i. Explain how Jominy end quench test is used for determining the hardenability of steels.
ii. Explain the steps in case carburising of steels.
- Write a short note on compositions and properties of the following steel:
- Austenitic stainless steel
- High speed steel
- Martensitic stainless steel.
- Maraging steel.
- How will you classify brass based on the composition of zinc? Explain the properties and applications of the main types of brass.
- Explain the steps involved in precipitation hardening treatment.
- Explain the mechanisms of plastic deformation of metals by slip and twinning.
- Explain the characteristics of ductile fracture and brittle fracture.
- Explain the testing procedure for Vickeres Hardness testing.
- Explain the testing procedure for Charpy impact testing.
ME2253 ENGINEERING MATERIALS AND METALLURGY ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION BANK Reviewed by Rejin Paul on 7:25 AM Rating: