B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010
AG2211 — APPLIED GEOLOGY
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. What is weathering of rocks?
2. Explain Exfoliation.
3. Write a note on plane of symmetry of Quartz.
4. Write the Mohs Scale of hardness.
5. Distinguish between Granite and Marble rocks.
6. List two rock types of sedimentary and metamorphic group.
7. What are strike and dip of rocks?
8. Distinguish between seismic refraction and reflection methods.
9. Write a short note on vertical exaggeration.
10. What is grouting?
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) Describe the land forms produced by the geological work of river.
(b) Explain in detail the process of physical and chemical weathering of rocks and minerals.
12. (a) Describe the physical properties of minerals with examples.
(b) What is coalification? Describe the types of coal and its properties.
13. (a) Describe the different types of rocks. Give the classification, texture and structure of igneous rocks.
(b) Explain in detail the various engineering properties of rocks.
14. (a) Discuss in details Electrical method of Investigation for groundwater exploration.
(b) What is a fault? Discuss various types of faults and add a note on its application in engineering projects.
15. (a) Explain various structural constraints which should be taken into account during the construction of tunnel.
(b) What are causes for landslide? What are the various parameters applied to mitigate landslide?
APPLIED GEOLOGY AG2211 PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER | APRIL/MAY 2010 APPLIED GEOLOGY AG 2211 QUESTION PAPER Reviewed by Rejin Paul on 6:41 AM Rating: