Design Of Hydraulics And Pneumatic Systems ED9264 Anna University April / May / June Previous Year Question Paper 2011
M.E. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2011
ED 9264 — DESIGN OF HYDRAULICS AND PNEUMATIC SYSTEMS
(Common to M.E. Computer Aided Design and M.E. Engineering Design)
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 marks)
1. What is a piston pump?
2. What is a differential cylinder?
3. Sketch any two centre configurations of 4/3 DCV.
4. List the drawbacks of simple relief valve.
5. What is oil hammer?
6. What is a pilot operated check valve?
7. What are the advantages of step counter method?
8. What is the condition for grouping in Cascade method?
9. What do you understand by ladder diagram?
10. Name any two faults observed in hydraulic systems.
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 marks)
11. (a) (i) With a sketch, explain the working of vane pump. Derive an expression for the theoretical discharge of the pump. (12)
(ii) Write a note on rotary actuators. (4)
(b) (i) Write a note on the classification of pumps. (4)
(ii) Briefly discuss the working of a pressure unloading valve. Also sketch a circuit
incorporating the valve. (12)
12. (a) (i) With a sketch explain the working of a 4/3 closed centre DCV.(8)
(ii) Sketch a fixed flow pressure compensated flow control valve and explain its working. (8)
(b) (i) Briefly discuss the working and application of counter balance valve with suitable sketches. (12)
(ii) Give a note on hydraulic fuse. (4)
13. (a) (i) Develop a pressure sequencing circuit using a clamping and drilling
cylinder for the following sequence :
(2) Feeding the drill
(3) Withdrawing the drill
(4) De-clamping. (12)
(ii) Give a note on synchronizing of hydraulic cylinders. (4)
(b) (i) Develop an accumulator circuit for leakage compensation and
explain its working. (8)
(ii) Sketch the setup for hydraulic copying and explain. (8)
14. (a) (i) Develop a circuit for the sequence A1B1B0A0 using step counter
method for single cycle operation and explain the working. (12)
(ii) Give a note on FRL units. (4)
(b) (i) Develop a circuit for the sequence A1B1B0A0C1C0 using
cascade method and explain the working. (12)
(ii) Give a note on Auto/Manual selector module. (4)
15. (a) (i) With suitable sketches explain the working of any two hydro-pneumatic circuits . (12)
(ii) Write a note on combination circuits. (4)
(b) (i) Discuss the application of a typical hydraulic circuit used in robotics. (10)
(ii) Briefly discuss the use of microprocessors for sequencing. (6)
Anna Univ Design Of Hydraulics And Pneumatic Systems ED9264 Anna University April / May / June Question Paper 2011 Reviewed by Rejin Paul on 9:38 AM Rating: