M.E./M.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, JUNE 2011.
Common to M.E. – Applied Electronics/M.E. – Computer and Communication/
M.E.– Common System
250102 — HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTER NETWORKS
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
1. What is the difference between UNI and NNI in ATM?
2. What is the principle behind Bellman Ford routing algorithm?
3. Enlist the features of Reservation Protocol (RSVP).
4. How does the soft-state feature of RSVP allow it to adapt to failures in the
5. State the principle of multiprotocol label switching (MPLS) operation.
6. What is meant by RED policy?
7. State Little’s theorem.
8. What is the need for data traffic modelling?
9. Define the term Kerberos. How does it offer authentication service over a
10. List out any four MIB variables.
Question Paper Code : 31019
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
11. (a) (i) Explain the layered architecture of TCP/IP. Compare with OSI
(ii) Describe the signaling system #7 architecture which supports.
ISDN network. (6)
(b) (i) Write a brief note on variable length packet switches and Non-FIFO
input queued switches. (8)
(ii) What are the uses of DWDM in network configurations? (8)
12. (a) Discuss in detail about the various protocols available for real time
interactive multimedia applications. (16)
(b) (i) What are the different scheduling services defined in multimedia
applications? Explain. (8)
(ii) Discuss the interplay between a QOS routing algorithm, RSVP and
integrated services IP. (8)
13. (a) (i) Describe the access method in VPN for remote users. (8)
(ii) What are the security issues with respect to tunneling in point to
point protocol? (8)
(b) (i) Explain the difference between the leaky bucket traffic shaper and
the token bucket traffic shaper. (8)
(ii) In what way does the MPLS support for virtual private network
14. (a) (i) Briefly explain the buffered communication system with arriving
and departing packets. Give suitable examples. (10)
(ii) Consider a data communication system with three transmission
lines packets arrive at three different nodes with arrival rates
200 1 l = packets/sec, 300 2 l = packets/sec and 10 3 l = packets/sec
respectively. Assume that an average of 50000 same size packets
float in this system. Find the average delay/packets. (6)
(b) (i) Mention the factors that make the Poisson model of data traffic a
failure in network. (4)
(ii) Describe the role of non Poisson model of data traffic in networks.
15. (a) (i) Explain the reference architecture of SNMP for managing devices
on IP network. (10)
(ii) When is IP security appropriate? When is SSC/TLS appropriate? (6)
(b) (i) What is NTA and mention the role of NTA in firewall? (6)
(ii) Narrate the various types of firewalls and their features. (10)
Anna Univ May/June Model Questions High Performance Computer Networks Question Paper June 2011-2013 Reviewed by Rejin Paul on 11:15 PM Rating: